- 2020 was a challenge - 2021 will be, too 😬
- You can't take care of a team if you can't take care of yourself
- Leadership resolutions should be focused on you and your team
- Effective resolutions coalesce around 1 guiding principle
2021's GUIDING PRINCIPLE: EMBRACE DISCOMFORT
The biggest opportunity for you and your employees in 2021 is to embrace discomfort. Why? Because discomfort is your/their pathway to success.
Think of your personal and professional goals in 2021. What words come to mind?
Success includes words like "start", "stop", "more", "faster", "better", "higher", "change", "lose", "learn", "accept" and "fix".
None of it happens w/out discomfort!
When goals are not achieved, it's because we choose comfort over discomfort.
Here's a list of leadership resolutions that will help you embrace discomfort -
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF
- Practice self-coaching because you’ll perform better
- Think in the 3rd person because you’ll be more objective
- Avoid thinking traps because they lead you astray
- Manage your expectations because you'll have fewer surprises
- Hunt the good stuff because we have a negativity bias
- Practice gratitude because it makes you feel better
- Commit to thinking breaks because you can’t operate on auto-pilot
HOW TO BE A MORE EFFECTIVE LEADER
- Promote your standards because they enable feedback & accountability
- Emphasize daily, process goals because that’s how you change behavior
- Commit to motivational direction because people need a reason to act
- Use clarity checks because they combat burnout
- Master the pep-talk, because people will need motivated
- Hold people accountable for decisions and choices because it eliminates excuses
- Commit to shorter meetings because there’s no time to waste
- Say more w/fewer words because you’ll leave less room for interpretation
- Give more feedback because people need to know where they stand
- Celebrate daily progress because little wins are motivating and confidence building
- Weed your garden because sh*t grows fast
SETTING YOUR LEADERSHIP RESOLUTIONS
- Less is more - limit your focus to a vital few resolutions
- Write them down - its only an idea until you write it down
- Share w/your boss - ask them to help hold you accountable
- Set process goals - identify the behaviors you want to make routine
- Win each day - process goals become daily accomplishments