Most companies give "leadership" lip service. Executives often outsource leadership strategy to HR.
Strategy includes how you define, acquire, develop and evaluate leaders. Strategy also addresses the "how". How leaders handle common leadership challenges.
The HR function is a valuable thought partner. Leadership strategy should be developed with HR, not by HR.
WHAT LEADERSHIP OUTSOURCING LOOKS LIKE
- Job descriptions - executives pay little attention to how management positions are described
- Purchasing - executives acquire leadership skills developed by other companies
- Leadership methods - executives over rely on HR best practices for engaging employees, developing teamwork, motivating behavior and leading change
- Leadership development - executives over rely on HR, vendors, and coaches to develop leadership skills
- Leadership evaluation - executives evaluate leaders using same methods, processes and systems as any other employee
©️2019, 2020 MentalNotes Search LLC