A good pep-talk motivates people into action.
A bad pep-talk is demotivating.
3 MAIN REASONS PEP TALKS BACKFIRE: The employee(s) perceives your pep talk as...
- Insincere - the tone appears fake
- Unrealistic - the advice given is impractical
- Misguided - the message misses the point
The risk of your pep talk backfiring depends on your relationship. Unless you've built a strong relationship, employees may have lingering, negative perceptions about you.
Common negative perceptions -
- "Not sure if I can trust them (you!)"
- "Not sure if they (you!) care about me"
- "Not sure what you'll do/say next"
©️2019-2020 MentalNotes Search LLC