Leaders have go-to techniques for giving pep-talks.
- Rah-rah speech - you share your enthusiasm Ex. "We've got a huge opportunity!"
- Cheerleading - you offer verbal encouragement Ex. "I know you can do it!"
- Fortune telling - you paint an optimistic future Ex. "Everything is going to be okay."
- Reinforce - you emphasize the good Ex. "We've got so much working in our favor".
- Downplay - you discount the challenge Ex. "Don't over react."
- Divert - Ex. "Don't worry about things you can't control."
Knowing your pep-talk habits is important. Why?
We tend to use the same technique over and over. For experienced leaders, pep-talks become second nature. We begin the pep-talk without much forethought.