You've heard, "Don't worry about things you can't control." You probably give that advice, too.
2 reasons that advice doesn't work -
- People are naturally and understandably worried about the things they can't control
- People have heard it before and tend to tune it out
Sample worry pep-talk -
- "I know you're worried. I get it."
- "...but you can't control a lot of this - right?"
- "I'm not going to tell you not to worry just because it's outside your control."
- "I know you're going to worry...I want to to put that worry to good use!"
- "I want you to act on your worry. I want you to do something about it."
- "What precautions can you take? What can you be doing now in case this doesn't turn out as you'd like?" "