CAUTION - Don't use promises to reassure employees!
Half-baked promises aren't reassuring. Employees aren't stupid. In VUCA times, they know there's little you can promise.
A healthy relationship with your employees is the best way to reassure them.
Research suggests employees want leaders that develop -
- Trust - the employee views you as being honest
- Empathy - they believe you care about how they feel
- Stability - you're consistent and reliable
- Hope - you make them feel more optimistic
- Be visible - because your absence will raise questions and uncertainty
- Listen - because people need to vent
- Up the feedback - because it suggests their work still matters
Don't do this
- Don't sugar coat - because employees will read that as a lack of empathy
- Don't over commit - because it will harm your credibility