Why emotions are so contagious
- We're quick to read other people
- We use verbal and non-verbal cues like...
- ...facial expressions, tone of voice, posture and physical movements
- These cues explain their emotional state
- Ex. A 😡 is perceived as anger
- The problem - we automatically begin to mimic what we see and hear!
- Once we mimic, we "catch" the emotion 😷
- Negative emotions are more contagious 😖
(SOURCE: K. Hatfield, 2014, co-author Emotional Contagion and a professor of psychology at the University of Hawaii)