"Thinking routines" are an important part of your System.
- You need a routine for "tactical thinking" and "strategic thinking"
- "Tactical thinking" is used when you're in the heat of the battle responding to a specific leadership challenge and pursuing a quick-fix
- "Strategic thinking" is used when you're assessing the overall situation and making plans for longer term solutions
How to develop a thinking routine
- Add "thinking" to one of your existing routines
- Use an existing routine that's healthy and comfortable
- Clear your mind (see below)
How to clear your mind
- Eliminate distractions (ex. turn off phone)
- Think of yourself in the 3rd person (ex. "she"/"he" vs. "I")
- Acknowledge her/his (vs. your) emotions (don't judge them as good or bad, accept how "they" feel)
- Focus on the thoughts underlying their emotions
- Challenge their (vs. your) thinking traps (eliminate needless negative thoughts)
- Avoid positive, "wishful" thinking...focus on realistic thinking