Principles are important because they guide your behavior as a leader.
A "principle" is an a rule-of-thumb or code of conduct that you believe in.
Examples of leadership principles
- Standards - "This is how you define what's acceptable (or good)."
- Standards & expectations - "Standards apply to everyone...set expectations individually."
- Expectation setting - "You can't give feedback if you haven't set an expectation!"
- Influencing behavior - "People have to trust you before they'll listen to you."
- Feedback - "People want to know where they stand."
- Turnover - "Employees typically quit on bosses - not companies."