Most every move you make as a leader influences teamwork.
Things we do that divide teams
- Over reliance on company goals - people respond better to shorter term goals that reflect the work they actually do together
- Implying team standards - if you don't clearly define "teamwork" under different circumstances your team can't hold one another accountable
- Showing favoritism - your "favorites" are divided from the rest of the team
- Discouraging venting - research shows that a good old fashion b*tch session is actually an effective bonding exercise
- Allowing weak links - when you're too patient w/an under performer the team suffers
- Ignoring bad behavior - bullying, harassment, rumors, gossip & discrimination tear a team apart