Most leaders don’t set policy...they implement policy. This is a mindset that helps managers lead through unpopular decisions:
How effective leaders think about unpopular decisions
- "I may not agree w/the decision"
- "I have to support the decision maker!"
- "My job is to help people implement unpopular decisions"
- "I need to help people accept and move on"
- "This is a test of my leadership abilities"
- "Leadership is helping people adapt"
- "Those that can’t accept and move on need to be moved on"
- If I can’t accept and move on, then I need to move on"