Empathy is the ability to recognize emotions in others, and to understand other's perspectives on a situation.
Your "why"/reason - this is important because people act on their emotions.
Some tips -
- Be curious - empathy starts with being interested in others
- Ask & listen - ask people how they're doing and truly listen to their response
- Read their body language - what people don't say speaks volumes
- Don't judge - what you think of the situation isn't the point...it's what they think and feel that matters
- Seek understanding - you want to understand the thoughts and perceptions fueling their emotions
- Acknowledge - let the person know you understand their perspective and feelings