New leaders should have 1-on-1 meetings with each of their employees ASAP. The goal is to begin your relationship.
- Focus on them - you build trust by showing an interest in them
- Ask for feedback - use open ended questions like "What should I be focused on?"
- Share your relationship standards - talk about how you want your relationship to work
- Ask for questions - address any uncertainty they may have
- Making the meeting about you
- Acting like you know it all
- Making promises you can't keep
- Sharing bold plans and team goals
- Keep it informal
- Listen more than talk
- You don't have to have all the answers