When things get VUCA, employees have more questions - not less. They look to their leader for answers.
Leaders rarely have all the answers people want. Knowing this, it's tempting for the leader to disengage. It's a way to avoid questions we can't answer. We step back and take the same "wait and see" attitude as our team.
Even though we don't have all the answers, our people need more of you - not less.
The future is unknowable. Today is more certain than tomorrow, next week and next month. Focus on what you do know. Examples -
- Today's priorities
- Today's expectations
- Today's accomplishments
Other best practices for engaging front line employees -
- Ask questions - shows you want their opinion
- Give feedback - shows their work is important
- Listen - shows you're interested in them
- Remove roadblocks - shows you've heard them
- Recognize - shows that even the mundane work is important
- Ask, "How are you?" - shows an interest in their personal well being
©2019-2020 MentalNotes Search LLC