"SMART" goals (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic & time bound) don't always work!
- They focus on outcomes vs. the behaviors needed to achieve great outcomes...
- ...you may get the outcome you want without meaningful behavioral change
- Most situations are very fluid, so what's "achievable" & "realistic" is constantly changing...
- ...if the changing environment makes your goal less achievable or realistic people get very demotivated
- If the changing environment makes your goal easier, people tend to back off and coast
- SMART goals encourage pursuing outcomes that you're already equipped to handle