People prefer the status quo. Change is uncertain, but the status quo is certain.
- Change triggers negative emotions like fear, sadness & anger. People tend to avoid these emotions and that's why they resist change.
- The ability to accept reality is a key professional (and life!) skill.
- Getting people to embrace new policies, procedures, roles or responsibilities is a multi-step process that begins with acceptance.
Try this -
- Explain the new normal
- Let people vent
- Listen and be empathetic (hear the negative emotions)
- Explain how acceptance benefits them
Running away from any problem only increases the distance from the solution!
People that accept change early realize the following benefits -
- Social status - they are perceived as leaders
- Time - they have more time to adjust
- Stress management - they move beyond the negative emotions
©2019 MentalNotes Search LLC