Uncertainty can be demotivating, but it can also be very motivating.
- Uncertainty about a potentially positive outcome gives us feelings of excitement and enjoyment (Moon & Nelson 2014).
- These feelings increase motivation (Klein & Fishbach 2014).
Try this -
- Confront the uncertainty head on
- Discuss the range of potential outcomes (from worst case to best case)
- Ask the employee to recall the last time an uncertain situation worked out in their favor
- Identify tasks or steps w/in their control
©2019-2020 MentalNotes Search LLC