Everyone has communication habits - some are good and some are bad.
What to avoid -
- Bury the lead - take too long to get to the point
- "Stacking" messages - trying to make too many points at once
- Management jargon - over-relying on buzzwords
- Rambling - repeating ourselves past the point of clarity
- Sugar coating - softening the blow of tough messages by pulling our punches
- Mixed messages - making requests that seem to be in conflict
PRACTICE TIP - the next time you're in a meeting, look for these mistakes. Think of the best communicators you've worked for. What made them an effective communicator?