Every employee deserves to know where they stand.
An employee doesn't know exactly where they stand until YOU'VE met the following conditions -
- You've reaffirmed the performance standard
- Your expectations are clear and acknowledged by the employee
- You've specified exactly where and how your expectations are not being met
- You've explained the consequences
- You've specified a deadline
There's much more to confronting an under performer than just letting them know where they stand.
- You have to be empathetic, listen to their POV, provide training and a positive, supportive environment.
- However, the most common mistake leaders make is not giving timely feedback and not letting people know exactly where they stand!
PRACTICE TIP - think about your lowest few performers and ask yourself "Do they know where they stand?" The last few times you had to terminate and employee...were they surprised?
©2019-2020 MentalNotes Search LLC