Avoid the "feedback sandwich". Wedging criticism between 2 compliments waters down feedback & sends mixed messages.
Try this 4-step process -
- Position as opportunity - ex. "I think we can improve the way you_____________."
- Share your observation - ex. "I've noticed that you________________."
- Explain the problem - ex. "People can misinterpret that as______________, and I know that's NOT what you want!"
- Offer a solution - ex. "Next time, I want you to try_____________."
Other keys to giving negative feedback -
- Make it timely - the longer you wait to give feedback the less constructive it will feel
- Make it consistent - when feedback is expected it's much easier to digest
PRACTICE TIP - rehearse feedback in advance planning to avoid the feedback sandwich.
©2019-2020 MentalNotes Search LLC