Here are 8 “red flags” that can lead to groupthink:
- An opinionated leader.
- A close-knit team with similar backgrounds and perspectives.
- A consensus-oriented culture,
- Teams that are isolated from outside opinions and perspectives.
- Teams under intense pressure to make decisions, especially if they are rushing to meet a tight deadline.
- An unstructured process for making decisions that encourages diverse opinions and critical analysis.
- A cliquish culture where members are afraid to voice dissenting opinions, and…
- Successful, overly confident teams may not fully analyze all available options or consider potential risks.
You can manage these red flags by actively encouraging open dialogue, diverse opinions, and critical thinking.