Happy New Year! Well, sort of.
You're not alone! And this is when the leadership cream rises to the top. This is a great opportunity, but you have to focus on priorities, process and progress. "Hero Leaders" will struggle, but "Servant Leaders" will flourish.
"The only way to make sense of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance." Allan Watts
Now's a good time to reflect on your leadership style.
- Leadership is 30% genetic and 70% learned LISTEN READ
- "Force Multipliers" make people/teams more productive LISTEN READ
- "Servant leaders" reduce people's dependency on them LISTEN READ
- "Hero leaders" become "force dividers" LISTEN READ
The function of leadership is to create change. The function of management is to create stability. You don't need a leader to stand in place.
- Business operates in perpetual motion LISTEN READ
- Complacency embraces the status quo LISTEN READ
- "Tacking" is a sailing skill that applies to business LISTEN READ
FOR MANAGEMENT TEAMS
Management "teams" set priorities, make plans, solve problems and make decisions.
- There are different ways to make people a part of decisions LISTEN READ
- Groupthink is when consensus is more important than correctness LISTEN READ
- People go along with decisions they disagree with LISTEN READ
- Commitment is more important than consensus LISTEN READ
- Unlimited PTO requires mutual understanding & commitment LISTEN READ
You can't care for others if you can't care for yourself.
- Relaxation is a management and leadership skill LISTEN READ
- Your mental battery works like a smartphone battery LISTEN READ
- Every memory has an emotion attached to it LISTEN READ
- Emotions trigger chemical reactions that last for 90-seconds LISTEN READ
Remember - leadership is a "practice", much like the practice of law or medicine. It's an ongoing process that requires multiple, inner-connected skills.
Now's the time to reflect and raise your personal standards - the standards you hold yourself accountable to as a leader.
This is the time for professional leaders. Seize the moment!